We all know that now is the e-love era where things shape over a Tinder chat or Shaadi.com for some. While ways to ‘find’ love may have transformed, the jittery feeling about making a first impression personally hasn’t faded. #Human you see!
To ensure that in the fit of making an impression, you don’t screw up read on a 20 something’s guide to first date and you could thank us later 😉
1. Prevent stalker vibes: I use the word prevent because trust me being on the receiving end of stalker vibes feels nothing short of uneasiness. You may have stalked your date to the point that you know his/her cousin’s best friend’s dog’s birthday, but that doesn’t mean you say it out loud. Remember to keep your words under check and control.
2. Essaying ‘about me’: Sure your date may show interest in knowing you better, but I bet they don’t want to know your life story, at least not a first date. Let there be equality of speech time on both ends, there’s a reason they limit Oscar speeches too 😛
3. Being Twitter, literally: If you’re confused what this is about, well let me explain. While you don’t need to be a never ending blog post, don’t be a Tweet either. Replies within 140 character limit may make your date think you’re either disinterested or simply prude.
4. Being subjective: That’s a mistake we must all avoid, not just on first dates but in every situation, don’t view things from your perspective, alone. For instance, the guy picking up the tab maybe your way to be on a date but for the other person, splitting the check could be ideal the way. So don’t assume or spell things the way you see them.
5. Know your territory of discussion: As much as it sounds like a page out of the textbook, it is pivotal to know your territory of discussion when you’re on a first date. Of course the conversation is likely to take a turn depending on an individual’s personality, but since you don’t know the other person too well, it is best to keep it in the safe zone limited to interests, work, friends etc.
P.S: That’s it from a 20 something’s guide to first dates, strictly keep these in mind to ensure there’s a second date 😉